Comics, Movies, Video Games, and More

"Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil."

~Ephesians 5:16

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Why YOU Should Be Watching the New Looney Tunes Show



Ah, the Looney Tunes. The most famous cartoon ever. So famous, that even today, reruns continues to air. (These shorts are as old as the 50's you know.) Timeless, great writing, it's the definitive cartoon. I am not here, however, to talk about it. I'm here to talk about the new Looney Tunes Show.

When it was first announced that they will be making a new Looney Tunes show, people were very close-minded about it. I saw it all in the comments and forums. People were NOT looking forward to it. Why? Because their logic is that the originals can't be beat, so a new show trying to be like them isn't worthy of being created. They weren't looking forward to seeing their characters again in a new light, they just wanted to hold on to the originals. Well, I could understand that. Many times they will take a classic, and turn it upside down. (Just look at the new Voltron and Speed Racer.) I get that. However, I am here to tell you purists (and people who aren't watching it) that this show lives up to the Looney Tune name.

Today, cartoons have pretty much been downgraded. Back in the day, we had Looney Tunes. (I wasn't around when they first aired, I saw the reruns and rented the Golden Collections) Then in the 90's/early 2000's (the era I grew up in) we had Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Doug, Catdog and others. Cartoons had heart. Today, we have things like Adventure Time. We have things, like the Amazing World of Gumball, where the main character is just a kid with no manners whatsoever. (Yes, that's what today's generation watches.) I've seen clips and commercials of these things, and they just are plain un-watchable. I don't know how these things get made. So when the Looney Tunes Show was announced, people were worried that it will go the Voltron Force route and become a kiddy thing with some pretty horrible writing. I'm over fifteen episodes in, and it's everything opposite of that.

The show follows veterans Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck living together as roommates. Okay, now that's something I bet you all wanted to see. The episodes of the originals with those two were always the best. And this show has them as the main stars every episode. Their characters aren't changed, you have the always cunning and good guy Bugs Bunny, and the always failing Daffy Duck. Their dynamics really clash, and it is hilarious. The scripting, like the originals, is great. It isn't kiddy, it's smart and funny. (When I sometimes show these with the rest of my family, they say that they actually prefer this over the originals.)

Instead of completely trying to be like the originals, (a la Tom and Jerry Tales) it takes the characters and puts them in whole new situations. Here we have an ongoing thing with Bugs and Daffy. It is in a nutshell a sitcom. And that's a good thing. It feels "fresh" and each episode is so diverse. This series references a lot of real life in a funny way. Two episodes ago they were making fun of the whole up-selling thing, how they trick you into buying stuff you don't need. (Insurance for ink? Yes, Porky fell for it.)

Of course, all of our favorites appear. Porky is the same as always. In fact, I'd say everyone matches their past counterparts perfectly. Gossamer is one of the few re-designs I don't like, instead of the monster who works for that professor guy, he's portrayed as a shy kid. Marvin the Martian isn't really evil, he's teaming up with the good guys in this show. Besides those two, every character is portrayed wonderfully.

Miss the Road Runner? Fear not, he's back with his arch-nemesis in a short every episode. People might not like the CGI, but after awhile, you get used to it. The Road Runner has always been my favorite, so these little shorts I greatly enjoy. Now, don't get me wrong here, I LOVE the original Road Runner shorts, but I gotta say that they get repetitive after awhile. These new CGI shorts add a new flare. Want to see the Road Runner and Coyote duke it out as ninjas in hand-to-hand combat? You got it here. Want to see Coyote put on the Iron Man armor? You got it here too.

I think I've made my point here clear. The Looney Tunes Show is an intelligent comedy for both kids and adults. On a channel where Adventure Time and Gumball rule, this show is a real gem. This editorial is mainly aimed at the purists who won't see the show just cause it's new. I'm a Looney Tunes fan, and I love this show. Each episode has made me laugh out loud, and it's just.....fun. You don't have to worry about catching up with the episodes, it's one of those shows where you could watch episode 13 and not have to worry about knowing what happened last. Well, what are you waiting for? Mark your calender or DVR for every Tuesday at 8 p.m. on Cartoon Network.

Just two shorts to get you in the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment